Wednesday, October 12, 2005

"Washing Cheetahs, We Bequeath" Part I; a trip to heaven that almost went to hell in a hand basket.

Two and a half months ago, a frantic e-mail is sent out to many of you from yours truly...

"Who wants to go see Social Distortion in Toronto on October 10, 2005?"

Most responses are "sorry, can't do it" but for two eager people, Beth Boskovitch and Dan Nystedt. YAY!! A plan is set. The three of us are ready to head out on an awesome adventure to Sudbury to see Cuff the Duke then to Toronto to see Social D. Oh what fun we will have! Tickets ordered, gas split 3 ways, accommodations arranged, time booked off...we're ready and raring to go...

As the date approaches, I grow more and more excited to see Social D. again and the chance to redeem myself for making a jackass out of myself the last time in Grand Rapids. Stay sober this time and use your brain for once, Donna, and you will be fine. When you meet Mike Ness again, take a deep breath and be cool. Easy. This plays out in my head for two months.

Thursday October 6, 2005, two days before our set departure date, Dan tenderly breaks the news that due to unforeseen circumstances he will be unable to embark on our long awaited journey to see the greatest punk/rock band ever. DAMN! But that's OK. Beth and I can still go. It will just cost us a little bit more than expected. And Dan's presence will surely be missed, being the wild and crazy ass fun guy that he is...CRAP!

Maybe I can still find a third to take the extra ticket and to split costs and driving...Patti, Craig, Trevor and a bunch of others...all "sorry, no can do." Robbie...yes!...ROBBIE!!...close, but no cigar...SHIT BALLS! I start to get a sinking feeling...

I pose the question to Beth, "If we can't find a third, do you still want to go?" to which she responded with a hesitant half-hearted, "yea, I guess." That sinking feeling just gave birth to a 200 pound baby and it sat on my head. I think I'm coming down with the flu...

Friday October 7, 2005, one day before our set departure date, Beth tenderly breaks the news that due to unforeseen circumstances she will be unable to embark on our long awaited journey to see the greatest punk/rock band ever. FUCK DAMN!! The sinking feeling's baby sitting on my head just kicked me in the ovaries. I officially have the flu and I think I'm getting my period...

Friday, I am NOT in love as "the Cure" may suggest...I am downright MISERABLE!! Not only do I have tickets to a Social D. show I cannot attend, I will be stuck in the Soo all weekend with nothing to do because the only interesting thing going on, Cuff the Duke at the Downbeat, is SOLD OUT! CRAP FUCK SHIT DAMN BALLS!!!

...fuck it...I'll walk to Toronto if I have to...

...hold on...relax and think for a minute, Donna...

Isn't Paul McCartney playing in Toronto the same night as Social Distortion? Yes, I believe he is. Isn't Mike Theriault going down for that show? Yes, I believe he is. A quick and frantic call to Trevor and I have Theriault's number. I call and beg for a lift...

"Hey, yea, no problem, Donna. I'm leaving Saturday. I can pick you up after work." REJOICE!! Get outta here you stupid fat fucking baby and take your sinking feeling with you!

"But I'm not driving into Toronto. I'm staying with Alexis and Brad in Barrie." Hold on guys...you may want to come back and sit on my head some more...

"Give me 15 minutes and I'll call Alexis and see if it's OK for you to crash there Saturday night then I can drive you into Toronto Sunday." Sit...stay...play dead...please play dead...

"Alexis said it was no problem. I'll see you Saturday."

"Sinky" and the evil 200 pounds have officially been euthanized. I do, however, still have the flu...and that other thing?...yea, that too...but I'm gonna see Social Distortion! YAY!!

I do a happy dance...I really do. But then I get dizzy and have to sit down, but the happy dance continues in my head for the next...well...four days, really...

No comments: