Thursday, December 07, 2006

Me 'n Motley Crue

Yes.

Finally a new post.

I know what you're thinking.

I don't love you any more.

I couldn't be bothered with the twos an twos of people that actually read my blog.

Now that I write for SooToday.com, I'm 'too good' to blog.

Well, my friends, none of these are true.

The fact of the matter is, I'm really fucking busy most of the time. And the times I have to myself, I spend sleeping or ... well, sleeping.

I also engage in the occasional adult beverage now and again, but since my injury I have cut that down quite a bit. My bank account thanks me.

So, as the title of this post indicates, I have recently had some dealings with the good old Motley Mother Fucking Crue. That's right, I had the honour of covering the show for SooToday.com, which meant I could take pictures (in a VERY limited capacity) at the show.

I was scared as shit.

I have never shot an arena show before.

I had no idea what to expect.

It was weird.

I showed up according to pre-arranged agreements with arena staff and it all turned out to be wrong.

I was pissed.

I then followed my nose as the toucan taught me and was able to at least get inside the doors. This made me a bit less pissed off.

I had borrowed lenses from all over the place and it turns out the one lens I should have grabbed was the one I did not.

FUCK!

You see, the media were only allowed to take pictures at the very front of the stage for the VERY FIRST SONG. During said first song ( and it turns out, for most of the show really) it was all smoke and strobe lights. These are not good for photographers. At least inexperienced ones like me.

I did get a fucking kick ass shot of Nikki Sixx pointing right at me, however. You'll have to wait to see it in a photo gallery on SooToday as I was forced to sign a waiver that stated I would not reproduce, sell or display the photos for any purpose other than SooToday.

Bummer.

Anyway, after the first song, we were ushered to the penalty box at the Steelback Centre, which is not REALLY far back, but far enough back that I was unhappy with the zoom I had borrowed. We were there for two songs and two songs exactly. No more, no less. The dude from House of Blues was very serious about his job and got us out of there right quick.

Then in order to get back into the show, I had to put my camera in the box office......or put it in my car. And since (a) most of the equipment I had was not mine and (b) my car was about 4 blocks away and it was freakin' cold out, I decided to lock it up in the box office.

After that, I found my friends in section 117 and proceeded to totally rock out with my cock out.....if I indeed had a cock it would have rocked the most, baby!

I had a fucking killer time at the show. But, unfortunately due to many circumstances, I am not overly happy with the pics. DAMN! I wish I could show them to you!

The fog, the back-lighting, my inexperience, the fact that Tommy Lee's drum riser was so high combined with him sitting so low behind them and that I opted to NOT borrow CO's lovely 200mm zoom lens result in me having a lot of regrets about this show....as a photographer.

As a rocker from way back, I tickled about the show.

I did not get one good shot of Tommy Lee and that seriously bums me out!!

But hey, it was my first big show and I have definetley learned from the experience. Next time I will know better.

Now all I want to do is get drunk and have sex with Tommy Lee...or maybe be Nkki Sixx. I haven't decided yet. They're both sexy as all get out.

Shit-Fuck-Damn.

I did get to leave with a very unique piece of memorabilia...

...my press pass...


...cool, huh?...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Press passes are def cool memorabilia. Damn you and damn you taking photos. Was the waiver you signed by Sootoday or the Crue management (I'm assuming management but just curious).

Also it's a 300mm zoom lens ;)

Can't wait to see what you did capture.

Anonymous said...

You can't post the photos (Flickr would have been great) but you can post your camera settings right????

I have a Nikon D70s and I have no idea how to take a picture with it. Its truly sad. I thought you did a great job on the Sootoday photo section.