Wednesday, April 20, 2005

"...it's like watching fish walk..."

Last night was yet another mighty fine musicians night at Lop Lops. Due to overlapping events at the bar, there were quite a few people in attendance, and everyone seemed to have a fantastic time.

Mark Kuntsi started things off and played one of my favourites; "Eat My Brain" by the Odds(...thank you Mark!...), boldly breaking tradition by not playing an original song. This lead to an almost complete evening of cover songs. This puzzled me at first until I realized that, from a musicians stand point, it is easier to get on stage and jam something you may have heard before rather than risk butchering an original tune you've NEVER heard before...at least that's my take on it...I could be talking out my ass right now, and I'm sure my friends will let me know.

The jam was a lot of fun and somewhat surprising...Craig played bass...Lord Pugh played drums (which provoked Cliff to mutter to me, "That bastard has way too much talent!")...James sang, Frank sang, Lindsay sang, Mark sang, Craig sang...guitars were flying everywhere...it was pandemonium! It brings a tear to my eye when I see all my kids making nice and sharing their toys...by the way, Lindsay, you're lucky you got your guitar back. I think James Case was ready to make a run for it!

I chuckled to myself during the long blues jam as I watched Craig West criticize himself in his own head, smirking to himself and shaking his head...and even putting the guitar down and walking off stage at one point. Outside later, I asked him about this to which he responded, "... me playing blues guitar is like watching fish walk"...unnatural as it may be, Mr. West, it's all part of evolution and necessary for the propagation of the species...you've already dipped into electronic music...I look forward to your next step....maybe you could develop the ability to absorb nutrients through osmosis...that would be SO cool...even cooler than the "whalphin"...

3 comments:

Craig said...

There are times to pick up a guitar and join in, and there are times to show mercy to the audience and just put it down. Actually the blues jam was not as scary as that Sam Cooke song Mark was trying to explain. That was the one where I thought it best to just sneak away.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see fish walk!!!!
how exciting.... you are underestimating the element of shock and surprise!

patti

Slackhopper said...

..."startled fish" as it were, right Patti?