Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Audio-Steve and Johnny Petoskey meet the Crack Hobo, Part II

About two hours after the rest of us had checked in to the hotel, Pavlov, Blondie and Audio-Steve finally showed up. To celebrate, we had more beer...

Why does the intake of frosty adult beverages always lead to spontaneous decisions regarding hair styles? Well, Mummy was tickled when I asked her to straighten my hair for our evening of debauchery and loud rock and/or roll. She and Nancy quickly went to work and had the job finished in about 5 minutes. Surrounded by "wow"s and "you look hot"s, my ego was sufficiently boosted and I was ready to go rock out with my cock out. Funny how a couple of our crew members would take this term literally...but that comes later...

After Mummy's wish to cab it to the concert was vetoed, we were off to the State Theatre half in the bag with road rockets in hand. The five minute walk was wrought with screams of "AUDIOSLAAAAVE" and trying to avoid eye contact with those asking for change or smokes. One guy tried selling us little tiny American flags on toothpicks. Audio-Steve was very proud of the fact that he found one on the ground and let the guy know about it; "FREE! See that, buddy!? I got one for FREE!" waving it in his face. I thought we were dead and pretended not to know Audio-Steve.

Pavlov said he wanted to buy some crack just to say that he did it, and he was going to "buy it from that hobo over there!" Hobos have bindles and ride trains...not sure if they sell crack on the streets of Detroit...what would Boxcar Willie say?...but "crackhobo" made us laugh, so it stuck.

Arriving at the theatre, I was relieved to find Animal waiting for us. He works in Detroit and lives in Windsor, so he was not part of our road trip. The line up around the theatre was impressive and was aptly kept under control by a very aggressive, yet funny, security dude; "Everyone going to Audioslave, this way!...you, STOP!...Walk briskly this way!" I asked if he could demonstrate for me just how to walk briskly, to which he laughed. I was determined that I was going to invite him back to our hotel to party with us "cracka's" after the show. My friends looked worried...I never did, dammit!

The show was close now...I was very excited. The theatre was very old and beautiful and was probably quite the sight in its hay day. We were in the balcony section at the back, but it was a fairly small place (I guess about 4000 capacity) so we could see pretty good...or so I thought. It turns out someone with a very large "heeed" was right in front of me...oh well...

Three guesses as to what the first thing we did when we got inside was, and the first two don't count...that's right...we headed for the bar(s). Five dollars (U.S.) for a plastic cup of Bud or Bud Light...too rich for my blood, especially for crap. Mummy bought one for me...at five bucks it's crap, but free crap is AWESOME! I drank it quickly and happily and broke down and bought more...I needed it...I really did...

The lights dimmed as the opening act took the stage. I have no idea who the opener was...meh...they weren't that good. There was some drunken discussion as to the name of the opening act and no one could get it quite right so we dubbed them "Johnny Petoskey"..."Johnny Knoxville" and "Johnny Polansky"were also options, but "Johnny Petoskey" just had a nicer ring to it...

Audioslave finally took the stage and we all went "coo-coo-bananas"...some of us more than others...

No comments: