Monday, August 15, 2005

Bouncing Native Cow Greets the Home Boy

image019 I was honoured at the thought of Olympic athletes being in our fair city and I had sky high expectations of Spring Action. The champion trampoline troup, coached by Heather McManus who represented Canada at the 2004 Olympics, delivered stellar performances to very loud and awestruck audiences through out the weekend.

Sean McManus played the bumbling, idiot clown as he executed some the most impressive stunts I have ever seen. The incredible shape he must be in to not actually hurt himself as he flips and flails on and off of the trampoline is almost incomprehensable. I found myself holding my breath for most of the show. They were definitely the big crowd pleaser of Buskerfest 2005.

With the lack of a website, I had no idea what to expect from Ash and Ruben Fasthorse. The only information I had was they were native and they danced....that was it. After seeing their first show, I was pleasently surprized.

Ruben is a very funny fellow who warms up the crowd joking about modern natives and political correctness. With quick head-dress and costume changes,he juggles, dances and sings to his wife, Ash. Then Ash performs some beautiful dances as she spins poi (sp?); vibrant flowing fabric during the day, and fire at night.

The highlight for me is the crazy hoop dance that Ruben does, the name of which I have forgotten. It is beautiful, entertaining and requires a great deal of balance, endurance and skill. Out of breath, he jokes at the end of the dance, "Try doing that at 34 years old." I don't think I could do it at 14 years old.

Cow Guy
Multi-talented, super fun guy, Brian Wilson (AKA the Cow Guy) was our second repeat peformer at Buskerfest 2005. This time he arrived sans partner and still managed to have the impact of two performers.

Utilizing the skills he acquired through professional clown and circus training, he juggles, balances, spins, manipulates fire, jokes, makes balloon creations, plays with yo-yos, lassoo's young children and entertains like no other. He even poses for the camera at just the right moments...and he's just a really nice dude.

But I think his underwear is the real star of the Cow Guy show....if you caught his performance, you know what I am talking about.

Aside from what some in the community may think, Buskerfest does support our local talent. This year the Sault's supreme illusionist, Ryan McFarling, had the opportunity to demonstrate his freaky slight-of-hand skills.

During his Friday night performance in which he did a "Penn and Teller" type "this is how all magic is done" walk-through of a trick, he turned it around and tricked us anyway...a master of re-direction, he is. This kid is gonna go places.

Well, there it is....my performer reviews for Buskerfest 2005. Now, you may be thinking, "She HAS to say good things about everyone because she was one of the organizers." While that may be true, I truly did thoroughly enjoy every performance at this year's festival. And I am pleased as punch that I could be a part of bring such world-class entertainment to Sault Ste. Marie. I plan on doing it all again next year.

2 comments:

rabsteen said...

I'll be sure to be home next year for it!

Anonymous said...

Buskerfest you say? Never heard of it ;)

I'll be back next year -- maybe I'll have an act and try to be a Busker myself.

Also, quick trivia for all of you. I was the first person (during the first Buskerfest) to bid on the big poster/plaque thing they were auctioning off and I got the guy to pay what he did as well. HAHA. So for those of you who think I'm cynical, see I really am a good guy.